Michael M. Byczek is the fourth generation member of a Chicago settler family that dates back to 1835. The lineage consists of Katherine Rooney’s father William and his wife Julia along with their ten other children. Katherine married Edward Talbot and their daughter Marie wed Martin Flanagan (World War I veteran). Their daughter Marie Flanagan married Michael S. Byczek (World War II veteran). Their son Michael M. is an applied physics engineer and an honorably discharged veteran from the Naval Air Reserve. His son Michael is an attorney and daughter Katie is a mechanical engineer. Michael M. Byczek and his wife Betty reside in Chicago, Illinois.
William Rooney was a member of the Old Settlers Club of Chicago that was organized by the Calumet Club for individuals who came to Chicago prior to 1840. There were approximately 300 names associated with the Old Settlers. The Calumet Club set up a meeting place for them, and lined the room with portraits of each Old Settler. The Calumet Club was located near 18th and Michigan on the south side of Chicago.
Michael M. Byczek is the great-great-grandson of William and Julia Rooney, and he has a copy of the original portrait from the Settlers Club. Their daughter Katherine married Edward Talbot at Holy Name Cathedral. She was residing with her parents at 43 E. Division with a brother and two sisters.
The rowhouse on Division was built by William Rooney after the Chicago Fire, and the adjoining residence was occupied by the original owner of the land. William and Julia passed away in 1885. Their daughter Katherine with her sister Hannah became executors of Julia's will. Katherine arranged for her sister Mary to purchase the residence on Division. It stayed in the family until it was sold prior to World War II.
William Rooney's legacy began with his arrival to Chicago in 1835, his acquisition of a large tract of farmland in Des Plaines, the utilization of lumber for his construction business in Chicago, and two historical buildings that were built by him in Chicago. His residence at 43 E. Division and a commercial building located at 235 W. Lake were built after the Chicago Fire.
Thomas and Hannah Talbot arrived in Chicago from Taunton, Massachusetts in 1862. They resided on Canal Street near Old St. Patrick's Church on Des Plaines. Thomas was a craftsman until his entry into the saloon business on 17th and Wentworth. Thomas and Hannah were the proprietor of a well-established business until 1878 when the area was redeveloped after the Chicago Fire of 1871. That part of Chicago was not damaged during the fire, and the railroad started acquiring the properties in the late 1880s. Thomas was a teamster and private contractor at the end of his career.
Michael M. Byczek is the great-great-grandson of Thomas and Hannah Talbot and has a collection of family photographs that includes Hannah with her daughter-in-law Katherine (Kittie) and granddaughter Marie in 1897.
Thomas and Hannah Talbot moved to 4132 S. Wabash after they sold the property on Wentworth. They were involved with St. Elizabeth's Church. Edward and Katherine Talbot with their children lived in his parent's two-flat on Wabash. Thomas passed away in 1892, and Hannah was laid to rest in 1903. The property was acquired by their son Edward and his brothers. They sold it to finance Edward's cable car conversion business in the early 1900s.
James and Bridget Flanagan arrived in Port Huron, Michigan in 1865 after traveling from New York. They had two sons Patrick & John and two daughters Catherine & Mary. Port Huron was known for its timber and shipping industries. The city is located near the St. Clair River and Lake Huron along the Canadian border.
Michael M. Byczek is the great-great-grandson of James and Bridget Flanagan and has compiled the genealogical records associated with the Flanagan family in Michigan.
James Flanagan passed away in 1882. Bridget and her sister Mary Gaharn lived together for the next three decades. Patrick Flanagan remained with his mother until his arrival in Chicago. He wed Anna Kane in 1886 and raised a family of three sons and six daughters on the south side of Chicago. His sister Catherine and brother John were also married in Chicago. Mary Flanagan remained in Port Huron until her husband passed away in the 1910s when she moved to Los Angeles to join her brother John. Bridget Flanagan was laid to rest in 1914. The Flanagan family arranged for Catherine to acquire the family residence in Port Huron. It remained in the family until the late 1920s.
William and Julia Rooney were early settlers in Chicago. They owned property in the city, and a large tract of farm land in the area now known as Des Plaines, Illinois.
Katherine (Kittie) Rooney grew up in Chicago with her seven sisters and three brothers. She studied piano at an early age and taught music prior to getting married in 1880. Kittie married Edward Talbot at Holy Name Cathedral on State Street. They lived at 43 E. Division until Julia passed away in 1885. Kittie and her sister Hannah became executors of the will and arranged for her sister Mary to purchase the residence.
Michael M. Byczek is the great-grandson of Katherine and Edward Talbot. Their daughter Marie was born during the Gilded Age and her parents spent many days at the World's Columbian Exposition in 1893 with the family. They lived at 4132 S. Wabash on the southside of Chicago during the Fair. Michael has a collection of photographs of the Rooney and Talbot family members taken in the 1890s.
Kittie passed away in 1899 after a brief illness. She and Edward were married for nineteen years. Their daughter Marie spent her early adult years with Kittie's brother John Rooney in the Bridgeport neighborhood of Chicago after Edward passed away.
Edward Talbot grew up on the south side of Chicago near 17th and Wentworth. His parents owned a saloon prior to the Chicago Fire of 1871. Edward and his two brothers helped their parents with the business. After the Fire, the area was redeveloped and Edward began his railroad career downtown. The family were parishioners at Old St. Patrick's Church on Des Plaines. He married Katherine Rooney in 1880 at Holy Name Cathedral on State Street. Their daughter Marie was born at 4132 S. Wabash, while they were living with his parents Thomas and Hannah during the Gilded Age.
Michael M. Byczek is the great-grandson of Edward and Katherine Talbot and has a collection of family photographs including their wedding portrait.
Edward Talbot began his railroad career as a clerk, and ran a real estate business in downtown. In the early 1900s, he invested in converting cable cars on some of his real estate parcels. Edward passed away in 1908. His daughter Marie spent her early adult years with his brother-in-law John Rooney in the Bridgeport neighborhood of Chicago.
Members of the Rooney and Talbot families were parishioners at Holy Name Cathedral, St. Patricks, and St. Pius in Chicago. Several children were baptized at the three churches. The Boucher family invited Thomas and Hannah Talbot to sponsor the christening of George Boucher in 1879. William and Julia Rooney along with their daughter Katherine (Kittie) were at the church that day along with their future son-in-law Edward Talbot. Katherine and Edward were married 11 months later at Holy Name Cathedral in 1880. Michael M. Byczek is the great-great-grandson of William and Julia & Thomas and Hannah. He has a copy of several baptismal records associated with the family genealogy.
John Rooney married Ellen Butler in 1865. He is the eldest son of William and Julia Rooney of Chicago. William helped John set-up a diary business on Archer Avenue in the Bridgeport neighborhood during the 1870s. Three of the youngest children were born between the years of 1879 and 1885. The other six siblings were born in Dundee, Illinois. Marie T. Talbot grew up with the Rooney family prior to her marriage to Martin Flanagan in 1922. She was raised by John and Ellen Rooney after her mother Kittie passed away in 1899. Michael M. Byczek is the great-great-nephew of John Rooney, and he has completed the genealogical research associated with members of his family. John had 8 sons and 1 daughter. Four of his sons were involved with politics and law. Thomas was a Chicago alderman from the Bridgeport neighborhood. John was a judge in the Chicago Municipal Court. Edward was deputy clerk of the Municipal Court. Austin was an attorney in the Monadnock Building. The rest of the family were involved with the family business. Ellen Rooney passed away in 1905. John passed away 18 years later in 1923.
Mary Rooney wed Patrick Riley in 1881. She is the daughter of William and Julia Rooney. Mary and her sister Katherine (Kittie) with their siblings grew up in a row house at 43 E. Division that was built by their father after the Chicago Fire. The adjoining residence was occupied by the original owner of the land. Kittie married Edward Talbot in 1880. Both sisters were married at Holy Name Cathedral. William and Julia passed away in 1885. Their daughter Kittie with her sister Hannah became executors of Julia's will. Kittie arranged for her sister Mary Riley to purchase the residence on Division. It stayed in the family until it was sold prior to World War II. Kittie, Mary, Hannah, their sister Bridget, and their families all lived on the same block on Division Street during the 1890s. Kittie and Edward Talbot's daughter Marie lived on Division with her parents and spent her early adult years in the Bridgeport neighborhood on Archer Avenue with her mother's brother John Rooney. Michael M. Byczek is the great-great-nephew of Mary Riley and grandson of Marie Talbot. He has completed the genealogical research associated with the Riley family. Mary had one son Albert and two daughters Katherine and Mae. William McKinley married Katherine Riley. He was Speaker of the Illinois House of Representatives during the 1910s. Mae Riley married William McKinley's brother John. Both McKinley brothers were Chicago attorneys. Patrick Riley passed away in 1905. Mary was laid to rest in 1923.
Patrick Flanagan arrived in Chicago from Port Huron, Michigan in 1883 after his father James passed away. Patrick met his wife Anna Kane in the current Pilsen neighborhood of Chicago. They were married at Sacred Heart Church in 1886. Their son Martin and his two brothers and six sisters grew up near 35th and Paulina on the south side of Chicago.
Michael M. Byczek is the great-grandson of Patrick and Anna Flanagan and has a collection of family photographs including their wedding portrait.
Patrick Flanagan spent the majority of his career in the construction trades, and passed away in 1908. His wife Anna and the children lived at 3525 S. Paulina until 1918. Martin Flanagan was a World War I veteran and returned home to the family after military service. He married Marie Talbot in 1922. Anna spent her remaining years with her daughter Agnes and passed away in 1941.
Martin Flanagan was born in Chicago. His family consisted of his parents Patrick and Anna with eight brothers and sisters. Martin grew up in the current McKinley Park neighborhood, and joined the Army during World War I. Martin married Marie Talbot in 1922, and the family consisted of two children, Marie and John. They moved back to the Bridgeport neighborhood, which had been the long-time home of Marie Talbot.
Michael M. Byczek is the grandson of Martin and Marie Flanagan. He has a large collection of photographs and documents that illustrate life in Chicago from the years 1895 to 1957.
Martin and his brother James both worked for the railroad in Chicago. The two brothers and their six sisters enjoyed their visits together throughout the years. There are photographs of several family members vacationing together in Illinois. Martin retired from the construction material manufacturing trade in 1947, and passed away after a short illness the same year. Marie Flanagan remained in her old neighborhood, and lived with her daughter until her death in 1957. The photographs of Marie from the turn of the century offer a rare glimpse into the World's Columbian Exposition of 1893, and her elegant image during the roaring 1920s with Martin Flanagan.
John J. Rooney was born in Chicago in 1872. He is the son of John and Ellen Rooney and the grandson of William and Julia Rooney. His brothers and sister were William, Thomas, Frank, Edward, Austin, Walter, James, and Mary. Formal education consisted of private and Catholic schools, and graduation from Northwestern Law School. He was in private practice for several years in Chicago before becoming a judge. Mary Marlow and John Rooney were married in 1914. He was associated with the Chicago Municipal Court for 27 years and served as chief justice. John passed away in 1941, and his brothers Walter & James, sister Mary, and cousin Marie T. Flanagan were his remaining family members that grew up with him at 2970 Archer in the Bridgeport neighborhood. Michael M. Byczek has compiled the record for William's son John and his family.
Thomas A. Rooney was born in Illinois in 1870. He is the son of John and Ellen Rooney and the grandson of William and Julia Rooney. His brothers and sister were William, John, Frank, Edward, Austin, Walter, James, and Mary. Their cousin Marie T. Talbot lived with the Rooney family on Archer Avenue in the Bridgeport neighborhood until her marriage to Martin Flanagan in 1922. Thomas became involved with Chicago politics as an election official in 1894 and was elected alderman in 1903. His brother Edward was deputy clerk of the Chicago Municipal Court from 1910 until 1926. Their brother John was a judge of the Municipal Court for a total of 27 years between 1910 and 1941. Thomas passed away in 1918, and his brother Edward was laid to rest in 1926. Michael M. Byczek has listed the Rooney historical documents within the complete family genealogical record.
Michael S. Byczek was born in Chicago in 1916. His family consisted of his parents Martin and Maryanna with six brothers and three sisters. He grew up at 2816 Short in the Bridgeport neighborhood. There were several other Byczek families from Poland living on the same street. The genealogical record indicates that all the families were Highlanders from southern Poland. Martin and his brother John came to Chicago in the early 1900s. Michael was employed in the manufacturing industry prior to his entry into the Army during World War II. He served with the military on several islands in the Pacific Ocean until 1945. He began work with the State of Illinois after the war.
Michael and Marie Flanagan were married in 1950. Their family consisted of three sons and a daughter. They owned a tavern and banquet hall near the St. Bridget's parish. The saloon was known for its Irish and Polish cuisine and entertainment. They both retired in the late 1970s and spent the next twenty years together in Chicago. Michael passed away in 1992 and Marie was laid to rest in 1996. Michael M. Byczek is their son and he has compiled the complete genealogical record of the Byczek family in Chicago.